A cosmetic dentist uses their skills and training in cosmetic dentistry to improve the look of your teeth. This can involve one or more procedures, depending on the teeth you’re looking to enhance. For extensive dental damage, your dentist may recommend a combination of cosmetic and restorative procedures.
Cosmetic dentistry treatments include teeth whitening, dental veneers, dental bonding, gum reshaping, cosmetic contouring, and dental bridges. Many of these treatments can fix multiple problems at once, such as cracked teeth, stained teeth, gaps between teeth, and teeth that are chipped or too small or too large.
Common cosmetic dentistry procedures
Many patients do not prioritize visiting their dentist regularly. This can result in the need for restorative work such as fillings, root canal therapy, and more. However, cosmetic work can help patients to feel more confident about their smiles. With cosmetic dentistry, patients can transform their smile with treatments like:
- Teeth whitening: A cosmetic dentist uses a special whitening gel to remove stains from your teeth gently. The result is a whiter smile.
- Dental veneers: A veneer is a thin, shell-like covering for your teeth. Veneers can change the color, shape, and length of your teeth.
- Dental crowns: A crown is a tooth-shaped cap that fits over your existing tooth or a dental implant. It is used for both cosmetic and restorative purposes.
- Dental bonding: It is the process of applying a tooth-colored resinous material to the teeth and shaping it as required to restore the contour, strength, and size of teeth.
- Dental implants: They are the strongest and most reliable replacement for missing natural teeth. The metal implant studs are inserted into the jawbone.
- Composite fillings: Fillings are tooth-colored restorations that are used to fill cavities and restore teeth that are cracked, broken, or severely worn out.
How long does the process take?
The entire process takes approximately one to three visits. During the first visit, we will determine if treatment is necessary by conducting a few tests and taking x-rays digital images. If treatment is necessary, we will develop a customized treatment plan for your individual situation.
Pros of Cosmetic Dentistry
Change your smile
Your smile is a crucial part of your appearance. If you hide your smile or are not happy with the way it looks, cosmetic dentistry can transform it. This can give you the confidence you need to laugh, speak, and smile freely.
Improve your health
Not only can cosmetic dentistry improve your appearance, but it can also improve the health of your teeth. For example, if you have misaligned teeth, it can result in jaw pain, headaches, and tooth decay. Furthermore, cosmetic procedures can help teeth that have suffered damage due to decay or injury.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Belman Dental Center, call (416)-486-1136 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit us at 881 Yonge St #403, Toronto, ON M4S 3C4, Canada.